Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Wait, I say, on the Lord

Psalms 27:14 "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."

This is one of those blessed passages of Scripture that just really speaks to my heart. Throughout life there are so many different seasons of waiting. Truly, no matter where you are in life you will be waiting for something. In my own life I know that waiting can be one of the most frustrating aspects of following the Lord. I want to be on the go. I like to know what's happening, when it's happening and how it's going to work out. But sometimes God says to wait. And waiting is not my strong point.

Charles Spurgeon has four points on this verse that I thought were really good. I would like to share his points and some thoughts.
1. Wait in prayer.
This may seem obvious, but it's very easy to forget to pray for wisdom and guidance during difficult times of waiting. There is no dearer friend than Christ and while He may not give me the answers to my questions right away, He strengthens and encourages me while I wait.

2. Wait with simplicity of soul.
I have discovered that when I am waiting, I am usually waiting for my own agenda to play out. Learning to give up my plans and embrace the plans God has for me is hard, but I know His ways are better than my ways.

3. Wait in faith.
So much of waiting is having faith in God's good will and plan. I need to have faith that He will guide me and fulfill His plans in my life. I need to have faith that even though my plans seem really nice to me, God's plans are way better.

4.Wait in quiet patience.
God doesn't always give me the answer I am looking for and He rarely gives it right away. I'm not the most patient person in the world and so when I don't know what God's calling me to do it usually frustrates me. As I grow in my relationship with the Lord, I have learned that God calls us to a lot of patience. Sometimes that is His plan for your life at that moment.

The last couple of weeks I was struggling with some different things. My parents and I have been thinking quite a big about a young, single woman's role in missions. God has laid missions on my heart, but right now it's tricky knowing what He's calling me to do. While I'm still seeking Him and His will for my future, I have peace that His answer for right now is to wait. That's where He's leading me and that's what He wants me to do for the moment. As time goes by He may lead me elsewhere. But for right now I'm to wait.....patiently.

So friends, whatever season of life you are in right now remember that God's plans are so much better than our own. Rest in faith and wait on the Lord.

No comments: