Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Do I Love God?

God's love for me is sometimes just unfathomable. It's bigger than my little head and heart can understand. How He could have such perfect love and grace for me is a mystery. I ask myself, what is it to love God? I strive to follow Him and serve Him, but what does it look like to love Him?
I John 5:2-3 says, "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments and his commandments are not grievous."
How do I know if I love God? When I can keep His commandments and they are not grievous. Sometimes I think that God's commandments are my absolute delight. I strive to follow and keep them. Then a little covetousness will creep in, or a little idolatry. Suddenly, keeping His commandments becomes some type of uncomfortable work. I still try to obey the commandments, but now I'm just doing it because that's what I'm supposed to do, not because I love His law.
It's very easy to turn God's law into a rule book that will get me to heaven. But, if I lack the love for His commandments, then I am not loving Him, I am simply trying to earn the grace that is freely given to them that love Him.
When I embrace God's law and strive in His might to follow His word, not to earn myself a good seat in heaven, but because I love His law, then I am loving God. If you love your parents then their words of wisdom mean something to you. If they say don't do this, you will regret it later, you won't do it because you trust their wisdom. You love their words. It's the same with God.

I sometimes laugh at how people in love, especially girls, become so lost in the person they love that the other persons word becomes more valuable to them than anyone else's. In a way, for many people in love this becomes a problem when they drown out other people's wisdom and counsel, but what it my love for a perfect and holy God was that strong? What if my love and adoration for Him was so great that it didn't matter what others said, only what He said? What if His presence was the only presence I wanted to be in? What if every law and commandment He gave sounded like sweet protection and love?
After all, isn't that what it means to be lost in Christ?

These verses really made me think about my love for God. I had to ask myself if on a day to day basis I really love God. I want to love Him so much that my life becomes 100% dependent on Him and His love. The things of this world are so temporary, even love here on earth is often just temporary, but His love never fails. It never ends. It never goes away. I want to love Him the way He loves me.
So I ask,
Lord, help me to love you more.

No comments: