Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Portion Forever

"Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26

To some people Psalm 73 might be low on their list of favorite Psalms, but at this moment I can think of no more comforting Psalm. It talks a lot about David's struggle as He saw the wicked prosper in riches and glory here on earth. As the chapter goes on, he sees that although the people of the world seem to prosper their end is not so sweet. God is David's portion and He is far more lasting than the portions of the world.
I know so many young people who's main goal in life is to just have fun and they do a good job of it. I was thinking about this a bit yesterday and the Lord showed me that often these people live lives of just having fun because they are trying to fill a void. A void that's there because they don't want Him. When you don't love and desire God life doesn't have much purpose. Life ends up being lived for self rather than for God.

God's portion is far more satisfying. Learning to desire Him more than the world may sometimes be hard, especially when the wicked prosper, but I don't want to be of this world. My home is not on this earth. My home is with God forever and there the wicked do not prosper.

No comments: