Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Master Artist

 
Isaiah 40:28
"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding."
 
Is it not thrilling to know that God is our Creator? That he made the entire earth? That He never tires and becomes weary? That He made us in His image and likeness?
 
As one of God's creations that enjoys creating things - namely pictures -  I think art is one of the most incredible gifts God gives us! Art is all around us! We are pieces of God's artwork, intricately created to be the perfect one He intended us to be.

 
Meet my beloved tools!
I cherish these guys. Each one of them serves a huge purpose to me in creating my pictures. God didn't need lots of tools though. His power is so great that He needed only to say a word and the earth was created. Without my tools (my pencils, erasers, blending stubs, sharpeners, paper, etc.) I would not be able to draw a thing. I would be a helpless artist....actually, I wouldn't be an artist at all! (Not that I would rank myself as an artist, I am just a person that enjoys art as a hobby.)
 
 
 
Whenever I start a new drawing, I start to get a bit thoughtful. :-) I think about how my life is like a drawing. Life starts with a blank page, then slowly lines are drawn, strange shapes begin to appear, and for a long while things can seem frustrating and confusing. Then suddenly one of the shapes becomes clear.
It's an exciting moment, but it's soon gone when you look at the rest of the page. Sometimes my siblings will look over my shoulder as I draw and frown, but I smile because I know what they don't know. As the artist, I have a greater knowledge of what I'm doing because I know what the end result will be.
 
And so, I draw. Some images become quite clear. Some just look like abstract shapes, stupidly placed. But slowly and with care the picture comes together. Suddenly the end result shows up and no one but the artist remembers the confusing shapes and the abstract lines.
 
Most people look at it and simply see a pretty picture, but an artist looks at it and sees the confusing shapes and abstract lines that made this picture what it is.
 
 
In my life, God is the artist and I am the piece of art He is creating. Sometimes I wonder why He draws these odd shapes onto my life. I wonder why He places certain people here and there. I wonder how anything beautiful can come from such confusion. But gently He shows me how He is working all these things together for good. The confusion will eventually make sense.
 
As I look back I can already see how He has made beautiful things out of the lines and shapes He has placed in my life already. I won't lie, a lot of this picture is still unknown to me, but I'm learning to trust the Artist. He is teaching me daily that He has a plan infinitely greater than what I can even imagine. My life is secure in His hands because He is the most skilled Artist that has ever been and ever will be.
 
 
 
These four guys are my most trusty helpers. I have a whole bunch of other pencils that I sometimes use, but these guys are my main quartet. And yes, I do refer to them as guys. Today I was actually trying to figure out why I always refer to my drawing pencils as "him," and I came to the conclusion that it is because they remind me of men in suits; crisp and sharp. :-)
 
 
 
Isaiah 64:8
"But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand."
I don't do pottery, but I love this verse because it gives us that picture of God as an artist. We are that lump of clay that He is molding into something beautiful.
We are that canvas that He brushes paint on.
We are that piece of bristol paper that He draws and erases on.
 
Someday, we will be that perfect masterpiece standing before Him in glory.





No comments: