Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Opera - What's Your Take?

Welcome back y'all! I'm sorry that I have been away for so long, but I have good reason. Last week we had 4-H judging all week plus I had to do a radio commercial and an interview for a competition that I am in. All in all, I am really enjoying the first un-busy day in a while.
Last night, as a treat after the business of this week, my sisters and I watched one of my favorite operas. Hence, we have all been stretching our vocal limits today. :-)

Sometime soon I want to write a post on opera music, but first I want to get some different opinions.
So I have some questions that I would really appreciate if all my readers answered.

1. As a whole what do you think about operas?
2. Do you feel that operas are immoral entertainment?
3. Are there any operas that you feel are morally sound?
4. When watching an opera, would you use the same standards to evaluate it as you would a movie?
5. There have been many people that have said different things regarding operas and entertainment of that form. Do you have any words of wisdom (including Scripture verses) that could apply to operas?

Feel free to bring up any other thoughts that you have. Even if you have never personally seen an opera and only know a little about them, please help me out as much as you can. I love getting a feel for what others think about different aspects of music.

So, please drop a comment and let me know what you think.
I can't wait to hear what you've got to say!

In Christ,
Kaila

3 comments:

Heather said...

I have very inconsistent opinions regarding opera.

On the one hand, some of the music is lovely so I often listen to it even though I don't understand the words. On the other hand, I don't believe it's right to swear in Chinese even if no one can understand you.

But, when I do try to look up specific arias that come on my Pandora I have a hard time finding the translations, so I've pretty much given up.

I used to be very familiar with the storylines of the more famous operas, but I've kinda forgotten them now. If I were to go back and re-read them (which I will do someday) I would critique them the same as I would any musical or other story.

The Huguenotes is a good opera we watched several times as kids, but as I recall, most of the others were a bit more fantastical and superstitious.

Neither of those things necessarily disqualifies a story for me, though. I look more closely at the grand scheme of a tale than at the little actions that make it up.

Savories of life said...

I think some opera would be pretty but knowing they use bad words and that it is a romance where everyone else kills everyone else so they can marry the one they love is silly.

They are a waist of time for our minds.

I have seen one good one when younger but forget the name.

Grandma Cheryl said...

I've never liked opera. It's probably the only type of music that I didn't enjoy at least once in awhile. Sorry!