Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Yearning

I'm in love.
No duh, right?
Yeah, I am head-over-heals-in-love. I'd be the first to admit that I've lost it. Cloud nine, all. the. way.

My heart still flutters every time my Love calls me on the phone. Seeing his face and hearing his voice gives me the thrills. I can't wait to marry him - well, I can, I have to, but ya know what I mean. As we go through the week, with our full busy schedules, I look forward with great, GREAT excitement to the next time I'll see him. And when I am with him, time seems to fly and soon it's time to say those dreadful words, "Good bye."

To all my wonderful single friends, don't leave yet! There is a point. It's coming. :) Please bear with me.

I remember once, trying to explain this strange magnetic pull that occurs whenever Drew enters the room. It's like some invisible something is pulling me towards him. After a little research, I discovered that there is in fact a word to describe this.
According to Webster's 1828 dictionary, the word to describe this phenomena is "yearning."


"Usually, to long; to feel an earnest desire; that is literally, to have a desire or inclination stretching towards the object or end."
Webster's 1828 Dictionary

Being the nerd that I am, discovering that Webster seemed to nail the way I feel about my fiancé was a wonderfully exhilarating moment!
Someone understands!
Not just anyone; Webster!

This pull, this yearning for the man I love, it reminds me a lot of another yearning.

Heaven.
I long for Heaven.
Thinking of Heaven excites me, it thrills me, it fills me with anticipation.
It's a lot like being in love, just larger scale.

Just as this bride here longs and yearns for her groom - it's true, it's sappy, and I'm sorry, but I'm really not sorry - the bride of Christ should long for her heavenly Groom.
Thinking about how much I miss my darling, how excited I am to see him, and how I long to marry him, has been an excellent reminder for how I ought to yearn for my heavenly Groom, the Lord Jesus.

Knowing that I'm going to see Drew can make me more hyper and jittery than three cups of coffee.
Does my excitement for Heaven, for Christ, do that?
Sometimes.
Not enough.
Why?
Because I allow my excitement and anticipation to grow cold. When the realization of Christ's love is fresh and brand new, it's like falling in love for the first time. But after a while it's easy to allow that initial love and excitement to grow regular and ordinary.
But it's not regular and ordinary!
It's amazing!
It's something worth glorying in daily!
I've been saved and redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and my eternal home is in Heaven with my Groom. I should feel deeply a longing and yearning to be home with Him, to be in His arms, to be by His side, to be united with my other half.

Falling in love, courting this wonderful man, being engaged to him......each stage has increasingly made me more and more aware of my longings for Heaven. (That sounds funny......don't over think that statement. ;) Take it in context.)
The more I yearn to be with Drew, the more I understand the way I long and yearn for Heaven, for my Groom, for my heavenly home.

It's a beautiful thing.

It's a glorious thing.

There is a yearning.
It is deep and throbbing. It consumes. It takes over. It makes me dizzy with excitement and anticipation.

I can't wait to marry Drew. The thought of being his wife thrills me.
But I REALLY can't wait for Heaven!
That thought thrills me even more.

Heaven is waiting.
I can't wait!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post, Kaila! May we yearn for Jesus most of all!

~Anna

Grandma Cheryl said...

Beautifully written, Kaila! <3