Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

You Raise Me Up

It's dark, the wind is blowing, I've just started my day.
 Today, we planned to have a harvest dance. Last night, our joy was turned to tears.
You know that Bible verse that talks about how there is a time to dance and a time to mourn? It's so true. There's no smoothly paved road in life. There's only mountains and valleys.
 I like the climbing mountains part, because you're strong, on top and you have a pretty good idea of what's coming ahead.
I hate valleys.
 I don't like feeling small and trapped with dark walls around me, because then I'm weak, I can't tell what's ahead and I have to trust with every step that my guide really does know the way.

Last night, a very dear family from our church lost their little boy Theodore.
He was born with many problems and disabilities, and his family embraced those difficulties to care for him. I know it was a struggle and more difficult than I can imagine, but they did it.
And now months later, he's gone.

I can't help but wonder, why? Why did they have to go through all of that. Why did it all have to end this way? Why don't I understand God's plan.

I can't see the bigger picture. I don't know what lessons God wanted this family to learn. I only know my imperfect feelings.
I know God's bigger than all of this, but sometimes living by faith is not the easiest thing in the world. Last night Theodore was made whole and given a body more perfect than any earthly body. I rejoice for him, but there is still sadness for the family left asking, "Why?".

Last night, I was listening to some different songs. For as long as I remember, when I am feeling down or saddened by the sorrows of the world, I listen to music. Soft, gentle music that reminds me of Gods great love.
There were two songs I couldn't get out of my head last night. "Blessings" by: Laura Story, and "You Raise Me Up" by: Selah. So instead of crying, I simply let my heart pour out before the Lord through the songs I listened to. And God fillen my heart with peace.

God is leading that family through a dark valley to make the mountain tops brighter. Just as He has with my family, He will lead them through this time. My guess is, there will be some "footprint" moments for this family in the days to come. Moments where rather than walking by their sides He will simly carry them.
When we can no longer stand, God will raise us up into His strong arms.

1 comment:

Grandma Rachel said...

Kaila just this past Sunday at church a man who hadn't been to church for awhile brought his cd player and he played this song You Raise Me Up and sang it for us in the fellowship room. He sang it with deep feeling and testified how God has raised him up so many times in his life. He alo plays the guiatar but he has diabetic retinopothy in his fingers now which makes it difficult for him to play.