Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's Been Awhile

I can't believe it's already February! Time is flying by way to fast. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get this post out. While I enjoy blogging, it is pretty low on the priority list.

Anyways, it's been an exciting month, with lots of new experiances and lessons to be learned. First of all, several of the young ladies at our church (myself included) put on a Ladies Day Out. It was so wonderful getting to serve the Lord with other young ladies. My mom gave a talk on "Singing Songs in the Dark." There were talks by some other women from our church as well. I want to share some of the points my Mom gave on why we should sing.


1. Singing will keep your spirits alive! Do you want to fight depression and despair? – SING!

2. The devil hates Christ honoring music. Martin Luther says, “The devil cannot stand singing.”

3. Are you afraid? You can chase away your fears when you sing.

4. Singing purges us of evil thoughts. They cannot stay in your head when you are singing about Jesus. All demons flee at the sound of his name.

5. Singing pleases God. We are here to bring glory to God. So let’s do something that brings him much glory. It is commanded in scripture to sing many times.

6. The angels are engaged in singing and isn’t that what you want God to see you doing when He looks down on you?

7. Sing because it will cheer your friends.



I think these are great points about singing! Singing can do so much for you mentally and physically.



As far as books go, I've been working on a book called, "Harmony at Home - Straight Answers to Help You Build Healthy Music Standards" by: Tim Fisher. The first half of the book is about music in the home and the second half answers "Tought Questions Today's Young People Ask..." I'ts an easy read, although, it has taken me a while only because I'm the type of person that reads six books at once. It got me thinking about how my family enjoys singing, playing, performing... music together. I realized that I know alot of people that enjoy "doing" music together as a family. Sure, it's fun to sing and play music with your friends, but there's something so special about doing it with your family. I used to think that my family could never play together, then when we started, I never thought we would sound good. But, just like pretty much everything in life, it takes time, hard work and a WHOLE LOT OF PRACTICE.



Speaking of books, last year I made a goal to read 201 music books and read no fiction. About half way through the year I realized that perhaps reading that many books in a year was a little unrealistic. (I know there are people out there who can read that many books in a year. My problem was that I had been reading lots and lots of fiction books and fiction books are way easier for me to read than "real" books.) So, I read music books last year. There were times when I nearly gave it up because, "They are are just sooooo much harder to read," but I kept it up except for school related books now and then. Then the grand, glorious, relieving year of 2011 came and I scooped up my fiction books and began to read. Believe it or not, a great realization hit me after reading a couple. I couldn't stand how fluffy these books were. Most people would probably disagree with me, and that's okay, since these books were "good, wholesome classics" by some terms. But I couldn't handle it. It was like eating marshmallow fluff. You have to eat some real nourishing food in order to keep from getting an upset stomach. When telling a friend my woes she reminded me that I had just spent the last year reading no fiction. It was like a lightbulb went on. So, what is my point? Well, for those of you who might have been wondering, I'm back on my fiction fast and am still planning on reading music books this year. The only difference is that I will be reading books on other topics as well as music.



God is so good! He continues to help me grow more and more in Him and continues to teach me about His wonderful gift of music. I hope to continue sharing what He teaches me in this area. As a side note, I will be continuing "Whatsoever Things," in the near future. Just hang in there.



In Christ and For His Kingdom,

Kaila



P.S. Does anybody know if you can play the penny whistle with the right hand playing on top? I would really like to not have to re-learn penny whistle. :-)

2 comments:

Peter Bringe said...

The disadvantages that I foresee with playing the penny-whistle right hand on top are:

1. If you want to play any other instrument like the penny-whistle like the flute or recorder it will be hard to switch,

2. It will make teaching others somewhat harder,

3. It will make following and learning from others a little harder,

4. It is my experience that if you don’t correct something right away you won’t ever correct it.

The advantages I see are:

1. It takes less work to keep playing the same way,

2. To my knowledge there isn’t any technical deficiency in playing it with the right hand on top. The only negatives have to do with the way others play it.

I would compare somewhat it to talking in an accent. It might cause occasional problems when interacting with someone else, but in general it work to communicate and gets the job done. I think it depends on how much you want to teach and learn from others.

Hope this helps,

-Peter Bringe
Deo Vindice

Hannah's Reading Room said...

Thanks for the info. Based on what you said, I think that it would be better for me to just re-learn it. I'm not sure how I got that wrong in the first place.