Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Preface To All Good Hymn Books - Martin Luther

Having a great love for music, I naturally have a great love for poetry - good poetry that is. I love reading it, singing it, reciting it and in truth, the only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that I cannot write it. Some people are just so amazingly gifted with a poetic tongue and sadly, I am not one of them. One of those gifted people was Dr. Martin Luther who wrote the powerful song, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God. While going through some boxes of books, (a common occurrence in our household) my Mom came across a small book of stories from the life of Martin Luther. In the book, there are several poems that he wrote, but this one was my favorite (naturally). It is called "A Preface To All Good Hymn Books," and it honestly should be the preface to all hymn books.

Lady Musick Speaketh.
Of all the joys that are on earth
Is none more dear nor higher worth,
Than what in my sweet songs is found
And instruments of various sound.


Where friends and comrades sing in tune,
All evil passions vanish soon;
Hate, anger, envy, cannot stay,
All gloom and heartache melt away;
The lust of wealth, the cares that cling,
Are all forgotten while we sing.


Freely we take our joy herein,
For this sweet pleasure is no sin,
But pleaseth God far more, we know,
Than any joys the world can show;
The Devil’s work it doth impede,
And hinders many a deadly deed.


Se fared it with King Saul of old;
When David struck his harp of gold,
So sweet and clear its tones rang out,
Saul’s murderous thoughts were put to rout.


The heart grows still when I am heard,
And opens to God’s Truth and Word;
So are we by Elisha taught,
Who on the harp the Spirit sought.


The best time of the year is mine,
When all the little birds combine
To sing until the earth and air
Are filled with sweet sounds everywhere;
And most the tender nightingale
Makes joyful every wood and dale,
Singing her love-song o’er and o’er,
For which we thank her evermore.


But yet more thanks are due from us
To the dear Lord who made her thus,
A singer apt to touch the heart,
Mistress of all my dearest art.
To God she sings by night and day,
Unwearied, praising Him alway;
Him I, too, laud in every song,
To whom all thanks and praise belong.
Translation byCatharine Winkworth.
Public Domain at The Online Library of Liberty

Is that not an absolutely beautiful poem? It just captures the essence and purpose of music in an absolutely wonderful way! I love the line which says, "Where friends and comrades sing in tune, All evil passions vanish soon..." It is such a true line. I feel this way when we sing A Mighty Fortress Is Our God in church. It is such a powerful song that it just draws you right in... at least for me.

To God she sings by night and day,
Unwearied, praising Him alway;
Him I, too, laud in every song,
To whom all thanks and praise belong.

In Christ and for His Kingdom,
Kaila

No comments: