Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

The Blessings of Teaching

"A good teacher is like a candle- it consumes itself to light the way for others." Anonymous

This is a quote that my mom shared with me last night. You see, I teach piano lessons. I have for several years now, and often I find myself wondering how it is, that God should choose me to be a teacher. I started teaching my younger sister when I was 11 years old and as the years have gone by God has allowed more and more students to come into my life. Just last night I started teaching two more kids. After their lessons were over I sat reflecting on the day, wondering why it is that God would bless me with the ability to teach and give me the joy of investing into others lives. I can't imagine what it would be like not teaching piano to all the girls and boys that I do. I mean, I love it so much that I greatly dread the day when I won't be able to do it anymore. As I look around and see the different paths that God has others follow I often wonder how God, in His sovereign power, decided that I would be the one He wants to teach these children. I remember times that I thought that I couldn't handle it anymore or that it was to hard, but God brought me through those hard times. Yes, there are days that I feel like that consumed candle, but God is good and He always brings in another candle to light the way for me.

There is just nothing like the joy of seeing a light bulb go on or seeing the beaming smile of a student who just played "The worst song in the whole world" perfectly. These are the joys of a teacher. If I didn't follow God's will for my life, then I would miss out on all of these simple joys that come with teaching.

So, there are days that seem like they will never end and there are nights where you feel like that burnt out candle; but if we are willing to obey God's will then when we "go out" He will send another candle to relight our flame.

Just as a side note, remember to tell your teachers how much you love their teaching. It is the hugest blessing to be told that you just made learning fun!

No comments: